top of page

A 30 Second Review of "Crazy Rich Asians"

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan


With all the hype surrounding Crazy Rich Asians, I expected to love this book. Unfortunately, I really didn’t care for it…womp, womp.

I felt like CRA suffered from an identity crisis – some parts felt like it was meant to be a lighthearted and humorous read, while others almost bordered on social commentary and got unnecessarily dark. It also seemed like the author wove an intricate and realistic tale in the first 90% of the book but then rushed into this outlandish conclusion that was squeezed into the remaining 10% - “and then this happened and then that happened and then I fainted AGAIN! and then omg we all just lived happily ever after!”

Which leads me to the “we lived happily ever after”… So we’re just supposed to assume that Charlie secretly throwing money at Astrid’s husband will make Michael magically feel comfortable around her family’s wealth? And similarly, that Nick bringing Rachel’s mother to Asia just negated all of Rachel’s feelings about the Youngs…? I dunno. I’m all for happy endings, but these happy endings seem somewhat implausible. Also implausible…drinking a richly sweet dessert wine like Chateau D’yquem on a sailboat. That sounds absolutely nauseating.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong about this book? Did I miss something? Is the movie worth seeing, given my feelings on the book?

Let me know how you felt about Crazy Rich Asians in the comments!


  • instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Like-To-Know-It-2_edited

let's be friends


never miss a post

bottom of page